Tips to Live Your Best Adventure at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
The First Order may govern Black Spire Outpost, located on the planet Batuu at the edge of the galaxy, but it’s also home to a hidden Resistance base and a secret smuggler’s recruitment center. Now, travelers from Earth can visit this outpost and live their own Star Wars adventure. Exploring a new planet can be disorienting, so here are my tips for getting the most out of your visit.
1. Make reservations for Oga’s Cantina, Savi’s Workshop, and Droid Depot. These three experiences completely immerse you into the Star Wars world, giving you a chance to enjoy a drink, create a customized lightsaber, or build your own droid friend. They are extremely popular, so make your reservations through your My Disney Experience account up to 180 days in advance.
2. On the day of your visit check for boarding groups early. If Galaxy’s Edge is full of travelers, the My Disney Experience app will automatically set up Boarding Groups for arriving travelers. Check before you even leave your hotel that morning and, if needed, join a Boarding Group. Once it’s your group’s time to enter, you’ll get a notification on your phone and have two hours to arrive at the Galaxy’s Edge entrance. If you arrive at the park before your Boarding Group’s time, enjoy other parts of Hollywood Studios. UPDATE, JANUARY 24: Galaxy’s Edge has not hit capacity in recent days and the use of boarding groups to access the land has been unnecessary. During extremely busy seasons, like maybe the Star Wars runDisney weekend, these groups might need to be used again. Please do NOT confuse the unneeded groups to access the land with the currently necessary groups to ride Rise of the Resistance, discussed below.
3. Remember the single rider line for Smuggler’s Run. At the time of this writing, there are no FastPasses for Smuggler’s Run, so all travelers wait in the standby queue for their chance to fly the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy. If that wait is longer than you prefer, and your group is OK breaking up and flying the Falcon with strangers, consider using the single rider line. This attraction requires 6 riders at a time, so flight crews in the standby queue with fewer than 6 have room for travelers from the single rider line to join them. UPDATE, JANUARY 24: Walt Disney World is now offering FastPasses for Smuggler’s Run. FastPasses are available 60-days prior to travel for guests staying in a Disney resort, 30-days prior to travel for all other guests. Not able to get a FastPass? Single rider line is still a great option.
4. Download and use the Disney Play app. This app allows travelers to earn additional credits by completing jobs inside Black Spire. Certain completed jobs even change the environment around the traveler, R2 units might come to life or mechanisms might fire. More credits means a better reputation inside the outpost, so your interactions with the citizens of Batuu could be improved by your performance in the app. Kids under 13 years old will need to share an account with a grown up, but my family spent hours playing these games and loved it!
5. Taste the flavors of Batuu. Galaxy’s Edge offers many wonderful and unique flavors for travelers to enjoy. It can be tough to figure out where to eat, so here are my recommendations:
Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo for meals, especially if you need allergy-friendly foods.
Ronto Roasters for hearty snacks. We enjoyed the spicy turkey jerky as a midday protein boost.
Kat Saka’s Kettle for unique popcorn and drinks that remind you of Coke, Sprite, and Diet Coke.
Milk Stand for famous blue or green milk. This dairy-free milk is almost like a slushy from the stand. Blue milk, as more of a liquid, is also available in Oga’s (topped with a cookie!).
Oga’s Cantina for the most unique drinks in the galaxy, alcoholic and non-alcoholic.
6. Enjoy the culture of Batuu . Citizens of Batuu greet each other, and travelers, with the phrase “Bright suns!” during the day, inspired by the three suns of the planet. After these suns set, the greeting becomes “Rising moons!” And a common, friendly farewell is “Til the Spire!” Take time to chat with the citizens you encounter in Batuu. The celebrities, like Rey, Chewbacca, and Kylo Ren, can often be found repairing ships or passing from one part of the outpost to another. You’ll need to ask them to stop if you want to meet them or take a scan with them (AKA picture). The common citizens of Batuu each have a backstory as well. When you stop to chat with them, you may hear about pod races, stolen ships, or adventures on other planets. Remember they aren’t familiar with the customs of Earth, so they may have questions for you, too.
7. Book a private VIP Tour. VIP Tours provide a dedicated Guest Services cast member to host your group for a day inside Disney parks. In Galaxy’s Edge, your VIP guide will give you access to the land regardless of Boarding Group status. Plus, they’ll lead you past the standby queue for Smuggler’s Run, and assist you with access to Rise of the Resistance . Your guide is an expert on all things Disney, including the best food options, best routes to enjoy attractions, and best places to watch shows, parades, and fireworks. Pricing varies seasonally. Tours accommodate up to 10 guests with a 7-hour minimum.
For a Star Wars fan, the opportunity to visit Galaxy’s Edge is a dream come true. For those less familiar with the movies, the immersive experience is still most impressive. Enjoy your time, notice the details, and create magical memories. ‘Til the spire!
UPDATE, DECEMBER 5: A few more suggestions now that Galaxy’s Edge has opened its second, and premier, attraction “Rise of the Resistance.” There are no FastPasses for this attraction. Instead of a typical standby queue, Disney is offering a virtual queue, allowing travelers to enjoy other areas while waiting. The moment you scan in to Hollywood Studios, step over to the side out of the flow of traffic and open your My Disney Experience app. Follow the prompts to join a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance. You must join a boarding group to ride Rise of the Resistance. At the time of this writing, there are no walk-ups.
The app will give you a general time of day for when you can expect your group to be called. It will notify you when your boarding time has arrived. Please pay attention to the specifics about your return time, as they may change throughout the day.
Rise of the Resistance is a 15 minute-long completely immersive experience with multiple ride systems. Travelers must be 40″ tall to ride, and will encounter many characters from the Star Wars story throughout the experience.