Universal Orlando Reopening Policies
June 4, 2020
My family was enjoying Universal Orlando back in March when the parks announced their closing for Coronavirus safety. We were delighted to return to the phased reopening of CityWalk in May and are excited about the parks reopening.
General Health and Safety Policies
All guests and Team Members are asked to comply with the following:
Tips for Navigating these Policies
- Download the Universal Orlando Resorts app. You’ll use the app for mobile food ordering, contactless payments and guest services requests, and registering for Virtual Lines.
- Get Express Pass to avoid Virtual Lines. Universal Orlando is using virtual lines to maintain proper capacity and social distancing. When a standby line gets long, Virtual Lines will be activated for that attraction within the app. Once Virtual Lines are activated, only guests with a reserved place in the virtual line will be able to ride the attraction that day. So you’ll want to check the Virtual Lines section of the app often throughout the day.
- Go completely bagless if at all possible. Universal Orlando’s required locker usage is annoying in the best of circumstances. However, to maintain social distance and allow for proper cleaning between uses, only one guest per travel party will be allowed into the locker areas. And that guest will need to wait until instructed by a Team Member to enter. It’s best to avoid the whole thing. Wear pants with good pockets and keep your park ticket and Express Pass in a lanyard.
- Face coverings will need to be worn by all guests age 2 and older, rain or shine. For best comfort, choose lightweight and breathable face coverings. The only times face covering may be removed is on water rides and when sitting down to enjoy food or drink. I do suggest staying hydrated during your visit and taking frequent breaks. Note: guests may find their 3D glasses fog up on certain rides. I’ve heard breathing through your mouth and scooting your glasses inside your mask can help.
- Universal has set up U Rest stations within the parks. These designated areas are for guests to sit and remove their masks and literally take a breather for a few moments. They are monitored by Team Members and cleaned often.
Popular rides will have virtual lines instead of standby lines. Once the virtual line is full for the day, there will be no opportunity for guests to join the line for the rest of the day. If you miss the virtual line, you’ll miss that ride. However, if you have Express Pass, you won’t have to worry about the virtual lines. You’ll simply go in the Express Pass line and skip all of it. Why give yourself the headache of virtual lines if you can avoid it?
Benefits for Staying at Universal Hotels Just Got More Important
It’s always been beneficial to stay at an on-property Universal Orlando hotel, but while these policies are in place, the benefits are even greater.
- Hotel guests are guaranteed entry into the parks. Due to mandated capacity limitations, the parks could become full and guests might be turned away. But Universal includes on-property hotel guests in their capacity count. So, as long as you have a valid park ticket, you’ll be able to enjoy your day as planned.
- Complimentary Express Pass. When you stay at either Loews Royal Pacific or Hard Rock Hotel, everyone on your reservation will receive Express Pass. Express Pass allows you to skip the line for the most popular rides. Here’s why that’s particularly important during this time: popular rides will have virtual lines instead of standby lines. And once the virtual line is full for the day, there will be no opportunity for guests to join the line for the rest of the day. If you miss the virtual line, you’ll miss that ride. However, if you have Express Pass, you won’t have to worry about the virtual lines. You’ll simply go in the Express Pass line and skip all of it. Why give yourself the headache of virtual lines if you can avoid it? Note: Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure, Universal’s newest ride, does not have an Express Pass line. You will still need to utilize the Virtual Line for this ride.
- Early admittance to Universal Studios and Volcano Bay. Even during this time, hotel guests will get to enter the parks before the general public. This will give you additional time to have some fun before the heat of the day sets in and your mask becomes uncomfortable.
For more information about new safety measurements at Universal Orlando Hotels, please visit these FAQs.